Sunday, September 26, 2010

Engine is Installed

Ok, the installation process started a week ago. A friend of mine helped me lift the engine into the back of the boat with a forklift. After a little alignment work we got the back bolts in place and the front mount sitting on a temporary board. Next I purchased an alignment tool online and started the process of aligning the gimbal bearing with the engine coupler. Learned a lot here. First attempt nothing worked. Jacked the front of the engine up and down. Nothing !!! So I added some spacers under the back mounts. Nothing. So I took all the washers and spacers  out. Now things sort of aligned. So I added a spacer, but only half of what the double wrapped spacer would do (3/32") instead of 6/32. Now all of a sudden everything fits together !!! So later I found it in the manual that cutting the double washer in half is acceptable. Anyway, discovered that the front mount as built would not work. Madea wider one that lined up with the existing holes in the stringers. Put it all in place and bolted it down. Engine still aligns !! Now we are ready to install the out drive.



No comments: