Wednesday, December 31, 2008
Reinstalled the exhaust riser and worked out the exhaust connection. Photos coming once everything is installed.
Scraped the remaining carpet pieces off of the right side of the cockpit area.
Sunday, December 28, 2008
Monday, December 8, 2008
Photos coming soon.
Friday, November 7, 2008
Not much hope that it is going to see water this year. Hopefully in the spring next year.
Friday, October 10, 2008
New engine gauges and cooling hoses are here. This weekends goal is to get the new tach installed so that I can see how fast she is turning to get the idle set a little better and then the oil pressure gauge installed to confirm that is all ok there. I also have the a new water pump hose to install to stop the biggest of the small leaks.
On the down side the bottom of the exhaust manifold is leaking water. I am afraid it may be close to being rusted through. Manifolds are really expensive so I am hoping not.
Found a new trim unit on e-bay. it should be here next week. Once it is here and installed the select trim function will be up and running. At this point I am racing cold weather. I would like to try to get it in the water this year but that is starting to look unlikely.
Sunday, September 28, 2008
After shutting it down. I hooked up the shift wires and then fired it back up. She SHIFTS !! However, only guage that works is the amp meter. Good news the alternator is working.
Before too much more running is done the oil pressure and temperature guages have to get working.
Monday, September 22, 2008
Got the Tilt system sort of working. The new motor runs but it does not tilt the motor up correctly. You have to help it up. Started checking and cleaning and performance was somewhat improved, however, it is not what it should be. Next all the wires are going to be inspected and potentially replaced with new copper along with new tilt solenoids. The housing will be inspected as well and potentially have the parts replaced with a new clutch pack.
The Carb looks ok on the motor however, I think I have figured out that the choke spring is broken. Not sure. need to pull off the automatic choke cover and see. I am thinking about just replacing the carb, however, I would like to actually get the motor running before I put too much more money in it. I have a new distributor and coil on the way as it was determiend to be more cost effective to put in a modern electronic distributor than spend all the money on parts for new points, caps, etc. Plus, the distributor looks like heck and there is a lot corrosion.
In case you are interested you can find lots of useful parts at the following companies.
Saturday, September 13, 2008
Saturday, September 6, 2008
The control panel rebuild is coming along. A polyurethane stain is being used over the seal ply wood. Results are looking pretty good.
Sunday, August 31, 2008
I also pulled the control console and the cabin door. I decided to make a new console using the old one as a pattern. The door is getting sanded, sealed and finished with a new polyurethane coating. Imagine, real wood looking like well real wood. The photo shows the start of the cabin door refinishing. The other photos show what was left of the control console.
With the trim motor removed I took a look at the select trim. With a couple of taps the motor started turning again. However the jack screw only goes a couple of turns. After further investigation I think something is binding at the top of the screw. For now I am waiting for a manual to come in that I ordered. Hopefully it will lend some light on the problem.
Just to find out what else is wrong I decided to hook up a battery. Some of the lights worked. The engine cranked !! I did not try to get it to fire though due to old gas in the tank and no water to the lower unit. I then tried the trims. Of course neither motor worked. Oh well, I will get the tank out in a couple of days and see what the starboard side looks like.