Friday, July 29, 2011

My Review of Teleflex Universal Outboard Side Mount Control

Originally submitted at Jamestown Distributors

Teleflex heavy-duty, single lever/dual action universal controls are excellent replacements for both outboard and sterndrive systems using universal pull-type cables. Controls feature push button for disengage during starting or warm-up and adjustable friction for throttle. An optional neutral saf...


Good Control

By Aircraft and Boats from Tulsa, OK on 7/29/2011

 

4out of 5

Pros: Clear Directions

Best Uses: Engine

Describe Yourself: Advanced

Was this a gift?: No

Product comes with clear directions is very well built. Some what bland plastic exterior cover, is offset by an EXCELLENT interior mechanisim that works as advertised. I am using the control to run a 1973 Mercruiser MC-1 stern drive with a 3.0L Chevy motor. I also installed new shift and throttle cables teleflex 630XX series with fittings for my motor. Everything went together as advertised following the instructions. Only problem I had was the handle stuck out further than my old shifter and hit my steering wheel. After studing the handle, I was able to remove the grip and rebuild it with the handle turned towards the control instead of away from it. This worked well but it would be nice if they gave instructions on how to rebuild the handle to the reverse configuration in the instructions. The only complaint I have is the shift interlock is a piece that lifts up on the top of the handle. This piece seems very flimisy and is not as intitive to use as the traditional squeeze trigger on the front of the handle. My opinion may change with practice and time. Overall, this is a good control that can be setup to work with a number of motors. I did spend a lot of time getting my shift travel adjusted with respect to the control, the shift throw, and the Mercruiser shift interrupt assembly. Take your time and you will get it setup.

(legalese)

No comments: